Next: Data Collection
Up: Bibliometrics of the
Previous: Co-Citation Analysis and the
The methods used in this exploratory research are fundamentally
identical to those used in both author and journal cocitation
mapping. These methods are described in detail in
WhiteWHITE86A and McCainMCCAIN90A. The method is
summarized here, with emphasis given to the adaptations needed for
application to the WWW.
Cocitation analysis has a fairly consistent sequence of steps, regardless
of whether the objects of study are authors or journals, or indeed WWW sites.
These steps (as described in McCainMCCAIN90A) consist of:
- Selection of the core set of items for the study.
- Retrieval of cocitation frequency information for the core set.
- Compilation of the raw cocitation frequency matrix.
- Correlation analysis to convert the raw frequencies into correlation
- Multivariate analysis of the correlation matrix, using principle
components analysis, cluster analysis or multidimensional scaling
- Interpretation of the resulting ``map'' and validation.
Mon Jul 29 09:00:12 PDT 1996